Thursday, January 3, 2013

Assignment #4:

1. Create at least one document in Google Docs and share it with a few others on your campus or within your department. It could a team member, a department colleague, or another teacher with whom you plan a collaboration. Ask that person to comment or chat and real-time edit the document with you.

I created the final exam draft and shared with two of my colleagues.


2. Create one form in Google Docs and send it via email to at least two other people and ask them to respond.

 I created a sample quiq and sent it to two of my colleagues.

3. Briefly discuss how you can use the tools in Google Apps with your team or department. How can you incorporate Google Apps as a tool in your classroom? Which tools are you excited about using with students?

To be sincere I was not really impressed with the google docs.  My main concern is that the forms do not support math type or graphs thus making it hard to use them when so much of my content need those tools.  As far the google drive, it is interesting but I have to upload and dowload the files in order to use and edit the files - I rather use dropbox. As far as my students I don't see me using these tools.  I will probably use for administrative uses within my department and school - as I already done in the past.

I would like to express a concern I have concerning technology.  There is a big push for us (teachers) to incorporate technology in the classroom in order to support content learning.  Sometimes I fear technology becomes the end versus the means to an end.  As a math educator, I know what my students need.   Therefore, whenever I see that  technology is a means to address a student need in the content, then I will use and incorporate it in my classroom.  On the other hand, I will not use technology just for the sake of using technology if it does not help my students learn the content - my students and I can not afford it.  There is not enough time to spare, there is math to be learned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment