Monday, June 3, 2013

Tools 11:

1. What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.

My favorite tools have been learning to create websites and using them to post assignments, notes, and videos - these have been particularly useful during tutorials.  Students would use the iPads to watch and rewatch the examples and they were able to reinforce their learning.  As a teacher, I loved it because I was able to help more students simultaneously and many students became more independent on their learning.  I also like it because it was very useful to students who absent or are assigned to ISS - this way they have access to material they missed in class outside of class!

My websites are:
www.mathematicsmadeez.weebly.com
www.nhsalgebra2.weebly.com

2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?

My vision has changed in the sense that I am more open to using the technology in classroom when I saw how it helped reach and address the individual needs of my students in mathematics.  Nonetheless, I still have my reservations, because I am first and foremost a math teacher with a multitude of math objectives to cover during the year - if technology (the means) helps achieve those math objectives (the end/goal), then I will definitely utilize it, otherwise I won't.  Therefore,  my vision is to utilize technology as much as possible, when I see that it is an effective means to building the learning of math concepts.  I see the use of the websites and videos as a great means to address students' learning gaps in greater numbers.  I hope to better incorporate the website this next upcoming school year.

3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
The student response to the video lessons - they really appreciated them and made my tutorial times more effective.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, math is the point, not the technology. However, when technology can provide access to information that wasn't available before, as in your videos, it is really helpful. I like that students were taking more ownership of their learning.

    Is there anyway students could use technology to demonstrate understanding in your class? Could that choice for students enhance the experience and understanding? Could they gain more exposure to real world understanding of math via technology?

    ReplyDelete